Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 11:27:19 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! MX record stopping sendmail working?

bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au said:
> I am building an new 4.2 machine to replace a 3.2 machine. I have
> simple copied the namedb directory (with permissions) over to the new
> machine but sendmail reports....

> smmc.qld.edu.au MX record points back to smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au

> The mail server (smmcroute) is the dns
> server (secondary dns...the isp is our primary) hmmm... any ideas? I
> have created a sendmail.cw file since the old system had one because
> mail wouldn't work without it. I notice with 4.2 the mail configs are
> now in /etc/mail...OK Any ideas troops? I am really stuck and our org
> has no mail OOPS! Is this enough info?

The new version of sendmail, by default, uses /etc/mail/local-host-names
instead of /etc/sendmail.cw.

The error you're getting from sendmail means (I think):

	DNS has a highest priority MX record for smcc.qld.edu.au that
	points to smmcroute.smcc.qld.edu.au.

	The address of smmcroute.smcc.qld.edu.au is 203.56.180.1.

	The box with an address of 203.56.180.1 doesn't have its
	hostname set to smmcroute.smcc.qld.edu.au.

	It does a DNS lookup, and finds that the best MX refers to
	its IP address, but not its name.

	Sendmail doesn't know what to do.

Run the following command:

	sendmail -bt -d0.10 < /dev/null

and send the output.
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319