Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:24:38 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch problems in OpenOffice1.0.0 port

--==========1255600887==========

--On Friday, June 07, 2002 10:57:39 PM +0000 Peter Ulrich Kruppa=20
<root@pukruppa.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Pat Lashley wrote:
>
>> I have no idea which way to answer this; and the build is long enough
>> that I'm disinclined to experiment...
>
> Why? We are running a multitasking OS.

Well, partly because of the likelyhood that at this point even if I
chose the right answer to the patch questions I might still wind up
with an unusable result.  This is not my first attempt to build the
port since the BROKEN was removed.  Before installing gcc 3.1 I was
able to finish the build; but with the setup.bin coredump that someone
else reported earlier.

Actually, I -did- try assuming that the patches were already installed
and answering 'n' to the questions; but then the build died fairly soon
after.  I considered going with the assumption that the patches were
reversed; but I have trouble believing that reversed patches would have
made it into the distribution tarball.  Or that I would be the first to
notice if they had...

> I am building the OO port from June 7'th 17.52 and it works for
> about 4 hours now. And you can do anything else with your machine
> in the meantime.

My previous builds took about 13 hours.  (Some of that is due to the
fact that the only disk I have with enough permanent space available
for the installation is a slow USB disk.)

Sure, I could just let it run; but at the moment I suspect that it
would be a waste of time and resources.  I'd much rather have someone
familiar with the OOo build on FreeBSD make specific suggestions, or
ask specific questions that might point to the root of the problem.

-Pat