Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:11:00 -0400
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD over Redhat Linux?

as a recent convert from linux to freebsd...i can give you MANY reasons

1)  RPM's suck....plain and simple.  the ports collection beats RPM in every way

2)  the only way to upgrade from redhat 7.1 to 7.2(when it comes out) is to wipe out everything and re-install.

3)last week we had a webserver crash(hardware failure) it was running redhat 5.2.  we got a new hardrive, installed redhat 7.1 and guess what?  between 5.2 and 7.1 they changed the filesystem so that the old version couldn't read the newer version.  i'm not sure if this was linux in general or redhat specifally.

4)  ever tried to understand RH's /etc stucture?  talk about symlink heaven

i could think of some more if you wanted....but don't get me wrong.  i'm not bashing linux or redhat.  in fact about 3 years ago i installed redhat 5.1 and got hooked.  i've been using free Unis OS's ever since.  i've tried nearly every linux ditro out there in the past 3 years.  i'm just now getting into the *BSD's.  and for my needs freebsd has worked better in the past 3 weeks than any linux distro has worked in the past 3 years.  the biggest difference to me is installing software.  two words for you: "RPM Hell".

for me bsd rocks.  for you maybe linux is what you need.  their both free, giv each one a good solid honest try and see which works and which doesn't.  if there was anything specific in the orginal email, sorry.  i just joined the list and seems that i caught the tail end of the conversation

nathan