Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      C Pitzer <cpitzer@megsinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   file recovery

I did a dumb thing, i started copying a load of files in E-term, running fvwm2.
I am pretty sure it was done copying (it would have run out of space, i was
testing a new drive), but the power went off just long enough to cause a reboot.
When I came back, i could only read one directory on the drive. I ran fsck on
it, and it showed 6836 files, but i could not access them. only one subdire
ctory showed up, and one under that with 6 files. Also, I could not send email,
as
gave me a device full message, even tho this is suppossed to be on a different
drive. I tried to umount the drive, but it says not mounted.
Also fvwmbacker doesn't work anymore, but that isn't such a big deal.

Here's my configuration:

wd0s1a / about 9 gb
wd0s1b swap 72mb
wd0s1f /usr about 200mb
wd0s1e /var 50 mb

wd1s1e 19.7 gb -this is the drive that is corrupted

is there any way to recover these files?
reloading it all is ok, because i want to update to 4.0, but would like to not
spend 6 hours reloading all these files.