Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:03:58 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        marcs@znep.com, archie@whistle.com, jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw logs ports for fragments

// > > Come to think of it, the latter approach would not be that hard
// > > since the kernel is doing this already for locally routed packets,
// > > that is, reassembling packet fragments in a fragment queue. Moreover,
// > > "most" packets don't get fragmentized. It would spread more ugliness
// > > into ip_input.c, but at least the behavoir of the ipfw code would
// > > then be semantically correct...
// >
// > Reassembly sucks.  If you have different parts of the fragment following
// > different paths, you lose bigtime.  It probably violates any number of TCP
// > specs.  I would have to think about it to decide if I hate it enough to
// > say it shouldn't be implemented at all or if there should just be a knob
// > to disable it.
// >
// > I think some of the Linux firewall code does reassembly, and there have
// > been numerous problems with it because of this.  OTOH, some people also
// > like it because of this.
//
// Right.  There are reasons that reassembly is done at "endpoints" rather
// than wherever it might be convienient.

I like the idea of packet reassembly at firewalling points.  If it's easy,
I'd like to see a sysctl to force reassembly at ip_input.c.

I can't remember anything in the IP protocol that would disallow reassembly
in the routers, other than performance.  Could you please give examples ?

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br