Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 23:07:36 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "James" <effdefender@earthlink.net>, "David Smithson" <david@customfilmeffects.com>, "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I repeat a command N times?

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 01:19 pm, James wrote:
| I'm still new, but:
| It's probably your shell.
| The C-Shell (csh) isn't good for programming scripts.

Oh, poppycock.  C-Shell is perfectly fine for programming scripts.

It's just that you can't give ksh syntax to the csh.

Really more a matter of what you are used to than anything else; that
square-bracket gibberish gives me the heeby-jeebies.

Anyway, in csh:

#! /bin/csh

# whatever the count was here; I forget
set count = 327

while ($count > 0)
    echo hello
    @ count--
end

which is to my mind a lot more readable and C-like (thus the name, "csh").

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org