Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 20:29:02 -0700
From:      John Dyson <dyson@Root.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd & memory

>As Thomas Graichen wrote:
>>
>> * is FreeBSD using demand paging for it's shared libs - i don't think ...

>I think there's now nothing at all that's not demand-paged, except
>accessing the raw device.

Reading/writing files use similar algorithms to what is used in
NetBSD and I assume BSDI.  The code was made more "regular" in
FreeBSD but file I/O uses the same (original) mechanisms.  The
demand paging is very improved, and is likely to be "different"
again :-).

>I have no idea however, why it's possible to overwrite a shlib.  IMHO
>the vnode should be locked as BUSY, like any executable.  (Well,
>Terry, it actually should be pre-faulted to swap. :-)

We just did not set the VTEXT flag in the vnode.  Actually, there
are some side-effects that would need to be resolved if we
supported it.  (note that shared libs are mmaped with the mmap
system call.)

> John didn't mention this in his reply, though.

Sorry... :-).

John
dyson@root.com