Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:41:51 -0700
From:      "Baatar S." <baatar@yahoo.com>
To:        "Joe Loughry" <loughry@uswest.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unexpected PPP termination: Unacceptable Address !? What it might be?

On Wednesday, October 18, 2000 10:29 AM Joe Loughry <loughry@uswest.net>
wrote:

> I encountered the same problem last night, trying to install 4.1.1-RELEASE
by FTP
> over a PPP dialup connection to my provider.
>
> The solution is to give the following command to PPP:
>
> After PPP displays "Phase: PPP Started (interactive mode)", at the prompt
that
> says "ppp ON laptop> ", enter this:
>
> set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
>
> It's the "/0" at then end of the first two addresses that is the important
part.
> The actual addresses you specify do not matter at all.  The "/0" at the
end of
> each says "I don't care about any of the bits of this address" -- so PPP
is free
> to change it.

Thank you, Joe. You're right. Actually, I found the solution earlier while
browsing through ppp man page. And I hadn't had to type those zeros and
ones, I just typed 'set ifaddr', and everything worked out. Interesting,
huh? Anyway, it's better to play safe and type all the fictitious numbers,
as you  suggest.

> I think you can do the same trick from the sysinstall screen where you
enter
> your hostname, domain, nameserver address, etc., by specifying your IP
address
> as 10.0.0.1/0 and your gateway address as 10.0.0.2/0 but I haven't tried
this.
> I'll try it tonight, as I ran out of disk space on the laptop partway
through
> the install and need to try it again anyway.
>
> -Joe

I've tried that, too. But sysinstall wouldn't undersdand /0 at the end of IP
address. At least in 3.4-RELEASE (PAO-nized) sysinstall thinks this is a bad
address.

> "Baatar" <baatar@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD-3.4 (PAO distribution) on my 486
> subnotebook
> through FTP using  an PCMCIA modem. Everything goes OK until it comes to
> ppp. It starts, negotiates the IP address, and as soon as it recieves
> the IP
> address it dies. Following is the output of ppp session:
>
> Working in interactive mode
> Using interface: tun0
> Warning: No default entry found in config file.
> Warning: ParseAddr: DHCP: Bad address
> Warning: set ifaddr: Failed 1    # ?! Maybe the problem lies here?
> Phase: PPP Started (interactive mode).
> ppp ON korvin> dial
> Phase: bundle; Establish
> Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
> Phase: deflink: Connected!
> Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
> Phase: Phone: 1234567
> ppp ON korvin> Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
> Phase: deflink: /dev/cuaa3: CD detected
> Phase: deflink: carrier -> login
> Phase: deflink: login -> lcp
> Phase: bundle: Authenticate
> Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine = none
> Phase: Pap Output: my_auth_name ********
> Ppp ON korvin> Phase: Pap Input: SUCCESS (Login Succeeded)
> Phase: deflink: lcp -> open
> Phase: bundle: Network
> PPp ON korvin> Phase: 216.102.143.194: Unacceptable address!
> Phase; bundle: terminate
> Phase: deflink: open -> lcp
> ppp ON korvin> Phase: deflink: Carrier lost
> Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
> Phase: deflink: lcp -> logout
> Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
> Phase: deflink: logout -> hangup
> Phase: deflink: Connect time: 27 secs: 345 octets in, 284 octets out
> Phase:  total 23 bytes/sec, peak 123 bytes/sec on Tue Aug 22 08:11:20
> 2000
> Phase: deflink: hangup -> closed
> Phase: bundle: Dead

 Besides I had to give ppp 'enable dns' command, otherwise all the efforts
would be gone.
But if you specify your DNS server, netmask, and default gateway correctly
in the sysinstall screen, I don't think there would be much problem with
installing over FTP. I guess, mine was "little bit" misconfigured. ;-)

BTW, about the other ways of installing FreeBSD (particularly on laptop).
I was trying to install it from my desktop PC using PCMCIA network card
which is Portable Add-Ons IC Card+, but PAO seems can't bring up the
interface. However after installing FreeBSD (with PAO-enabled kernel) from
ftp over ppp connection, I was able to get it working. PAO does dums out
CIS-tulip of my network card, but fails to assign resources to it, giving me
a message saying 'particular card is not in card database. Is there anyway
to getting such a card working at the install stage? I've been through PAO
man pages but can't find a glue. IMHO pccardc could do some jobs in this
direction. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, and best regards.