Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:44:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorting and Matching options for ls(1)

On Thursday,  7 March 2002 at  8:09:32 +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

> --On mercredi 6 mars 2002 13:57 +0000 Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
>
>> At the request of several FreeBSD users, I have developed the following
>> two options for ls(1):
>
> while we're on ls, I found out yesterday that on a recent linux redhat that
> when doing just a ls (just file names), it the columns were not larger than
> the length of the largest file name in it (+3) as in freebsd, all columns
> are equal :

I think what you're saying here is that the columns are of different
widths, right, just big enough for the largest file in each of them.

> $ ls /bin/
> arch          cpio           false       loadkeys       ps         su
> ash           csh            fgrep       login          pwd        sync
> ash.static    cut            gawk        ls             red        tar
> awk           date           gawk-3.0.6  mail           rm         tcsh
> basename      dd             gettext     mkdir          rmdir      touch
> bash          df             grep        mknod          rpm        true
> bash2         dmesg          gtar        mktemp         rvi        umount
> bsh           dnsdomainname  gunzip      more           rview      uname
> cat           doexec         gzip        mount          sed        usleep
> chgrp         domainname     hostname    mv             setserial  vi
> chmod         echo           igawk       netstat        sh         view
> chown         ed             ipcalc      nice           sleep      vimtutor
> consolechars  egrep          kill        nisdomainname  sort
> ypdomainname

The previous two lines were broken by your MUA, right?  They weren't
intended to make a point about how Red Hat arranges things?

> cp            ex             ln          ping           stty       zcat
>
> that's a neat feature I believe, don't you ?

No, I think it's decidedly untidy.  I have to use Red Hat in my Real
Job, and I find it one of the many irritating things about it.

Greg