Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:19:54 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>
To:        Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Having both SCSI and IDE hard disks...

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:59:53 -0700  Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>  said:

> Simply put, it refused to boot when jumpered as "Master" (it was the only IDE
> device on that controller).  What we ultimately had to do was jumper it as
> "Only" and from then on it worked fine.
>
> Sorry if this was a wasted message; I'm coming into this thread a little late
> so I'm missing a bit of background on your issue.

No, this isn't wasted at all!  In point of fact, the drive is a Maxtor
Diamondmax 17.2 Gig jumpered as master on IDE1...  FreeBSD sysinstall
sees this as wd0.

As things stand right now, I've installed FreeBSD 3.2 from CD onto the
thing as "dangerously dedicated" and have booteasy installed on da0 (my
boot drive).

I'd really prefer to share wd0 with an Ebola95 partition, and boot
FreeBSD from wd0 and Ebola95 from da0.  I know it can be done, I'm just
not sure how...

Tonight, I'll have to try the following:

  1.  Install OS-BS beta and see if it helps (I'll probably end up
      with this anyway, since it allows me to properly call Windows95
      Ebola95 :))

  2.  Jumper wd0 to be a slave, necessitating boot up from da0.  This
      is an adequate solution, although optimal is for the BIOS to boot
      from "C,A,SCSI" -- otherwise, it's "SCSI,C,A".

  3.  Install Ebola95 into a dos partition on wd0, leaving my
      previously-installed applications on da0.  I suppose that'll
      work; I just don't want to go through the hassle of having to
      install all my apps again on wd0.

  4.  Commit hari-kuri (sp?) with a butter knife.

Any other suggestions (especially additions to #4 :-)) are welcome!

--
Matt Meola     Bailey, Colorado
NRA Life Member