Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:41:42 -0400
From:      jbailey@elux3.cs.umass.edu
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with installation

I've been trying to install FreeBSD on my system for the last few days,
and my computer keeps crashing at various points during the installation.
Here is the error message I got during the most recent occurence of this
problem:

fault virtual address = 0xefc03c14
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf0167ca0
code segment =  base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
	     =  DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags =  interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 6 (newfs)
interrupt mask = [ there was nothing here, j.b.]
panic: page fault

And then the system reboots. I have had this happen using both the newer and
older 2.0-RELEASE cpio and boot144 floppies.  My system has these
components:

AMD DX4
100 MB NEC drive (drive 0, from which i boot FreeBSD)
840 MB Western Digital (drive 1, containing /var and /usr)
An energy star VESA 486 motherboard

I don't suppose you could shed some light on what the error means
(I have also had it happen at other points during the installation,
particularly when I try to install the bindist files off drive 1, from a
MSDOS partition)? I am not sure if my computer has a hardware problem,
or if the installation software is messed up. Any help, comments, etc.
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Justin Bailey
(413)546-0730