Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:00:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        boards@nise-ch.nosc.mil
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Compaq LTE 5300 notebook

[ Moved to just -mobile ]

> I have a Compaq LTE 5300 notebook.  I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.7
> from the WC CD distribution.  I am having a few problems.
>
>  1.  What mouse device do I need to use to get the "J-stick"
>  pointing device to work?  All that I have tried do not seem to
>  work.

The PS/2 mouse driver, but it's doubtful that it will work in 2.1.7.
But, give it a shot by 'enabling' the psm driver and see if it's
recognized.  (The driver was completely re-written for 2.2, but
unfortunately does not back-port very well to 2.1.7).

> 2.  What type of X settings do I need to use?

Don't know.  That's an XFree86 question.

> 3.  Small problem.  Only 16M of RAM is recognized at bootup.  Is this
> just a kernel rebuild?

Try using the option MAXMEM in your config file.

options         "MAXMEM=(X*1024)"

where X is the number of MB's you actually have.  (People have also
found that this works better if you actually multiply the #'s ahead of
time, instead of relying on the multiplication to be done.

Nate