Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:36:29 -0500
From:      beemern@ksu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adopt a newbie program

"M. L. Dodson" wrote:

> So, speaking only for myself, I don't mind helping people if (1)
> I know the exact answer off the top of my head, or (2) I can see
> people have done their homework and still have a nontrivial
> problem, and I have some insight as to a productive line of
> research which will solve that problem.  Being a mentor for a
> newbie who wants to take a short cut up the learning curve does
> not fit in either of those categories.  To put it another way, I
> don't mind being an educator (which I am by profession), in fact
> I enjoy it, or I would not be subscribed to this list, but I do
> mind being a questions "punching bag".  Flames to /dev/null.

i agree!  also, i think that in one aspect, a newbie hurts himself by getting a
quick/easy answer to a question.  there are a lot of instances where, in
searching for a solution to one problem, i've run across solutions or
information pertaining to ANOTHER problem i was having.

in short, "getting there is half the fun"... meaning, the path to the answer
leads to many others.
and  a quick/easy answer to something also doesn't provide the "meaning" or the
"why" something is the way it is.

but, also, i don't mind helping someone if it looks as tho they've put in
time/energy but are just stuck on something and can't get past it...