Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:40:12 +0300
From:      Martes Wigglesworth <martes.wigglesworth@earthlink.net>
To:        ipfw-mailings <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dropped packets after changing queue size to recommended sizes...

Greetings list.

I have implimented some of the suggestions from previous posts, with
some other things that I have found online.  I have noticed that when I
used the 256Kbit/s bw as follows, I get dropped packets, in my drp
section of pipe show.  Is this normal?  I noticed that without the
designation of queue size, I get no dropped packets.

Example:

pipe 1 config bw "" queue 10KB
queue 1 config pipe 1 mask dst-ip 0xffffffff queue 9KB

As I asked, above,"Is this functionality common, within the parameters
of the queue/pipe/bw combination, that I have?"

I have also noticed that my ksim application indicates that the KByte
bandwidth jumps to 31.5, or 32, which is calculated to 250 or 256.  The previously
listed bandwidth is less than my 256 setting.  The bandwidth stays at 31.0 or less, and
only sometimes jumps to 32.0. Any clarification on this is much appreciated.

--
Respectfully,

M.G.W.

System:
Asus M6N
Intel Dothan 1.7
512MB RAM
40GB HD
10/100/1000 NIC
Wireless b/g (not working yet)
BSD-5.2.1
GCC-3.3.5/3.3.3(until I replace indigenous gcc)
IFORT-for linux(Intell Fortran)
gfortran
python-2.3
Perl-5.6.1/5.8.5