Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:04:02 -0800
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for comment: pkg_delete(1) improvement

Maxim Sobolev (sobomax@freebsd.org) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> You all should know that current pkg_delete(1)'s behaviour is suboptimal
> when several packages to be deleted are specified in command line. The
> problem is that pkg_delete(1) tries to delete packages in exacly the same
> order as they were specified in the command line, ignoring dependencies
> between packages involved. Attached patch should solve this problem by
> reordering packages to ensure proper removal order. After this patch
> applied you should be able to delete all installed packaged in one turn
> using `pkg_delete /var/db/pkg/*'.
>
> -Maxim

From a Users standpoint I think this is excelent. It would make it
easier to update meta ports (kde, gnome come to mind) when the upgrade
to a newer version. It would also make it easier for you to start with a
perfectly good STABLE OS but the USER area is so out of sync and
mismatched from updating ports tree just to get that latest port you
have been waiting for.

Sorry for it sounding so confusing.. But from a non-coding persons
perspective I like this idea.

TIA