Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:33:57 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cardbus Atheros 5212 and Dell laptop(s)...

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 11:47 am, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> I'm using the following atheros products successfully:
>
> D-Link DWL-G520 (pci in a generic desktop running FreeBSD 5.3RC1)
> D-Link DWL-G650 (pccard in a Dell Inspiron 8100 running FreeBSD
> 5.2.1)

I went out a grabbed a DWL-G650.  It needed a little encouragement, but
not much.  It began _trying_ to associate immediately.. but kept flip
flopping from b/g/b/g... so I forced it to g and it works fine.  Not
sure what was up with the Blitzz cards.  They have the same chipset.

> FYI:  D-Link is displaying the Atheros logo on the retail boxes of
> its atheros chipset products; which should make purchasing these
> easier.
>
> I use the script below, with a real wep code and different IP
> addresses, for each of these devices.  Other than setting hostname
> info in /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts, I haven't edited any other
> network configuration files.
>
> (Beware the effects of email wordwrap.)

I have not tried the script yet, but would like to.  I'm still a bit new
to BSD/*nix....  How does it work?  Its under the rc.d folder so it
runs automagically right.  Who/what provides the parameter you switch
on? and under what circumstances would each case get executed?

> #!/bin/sh
> # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ath0
>
> NIC=ath0
>
> case $1 in
> start)
>  ifconfig ${NIC} inet 192.168.42.21 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid
> datawok wepmode on wepkey 0x1111111111

Thanks for the help!
--
Regards,