Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:12:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freeBSD.org
Subject:   emu10k1 / ECC memory kernel panic

I noted in the -stable archives the following thread, dated April 17:

>> There was also an interaction between the emu10k1 code and the the
>> Linux APM driver.  With both enabled, I would see an NMI generated
>> precisely every 5 minutes.  With just APM everything was fine, and
>> with just the emu10k1 the situation was as described above.  The only
>> other person I knew to be observing this behavior was another fellow
>> with a Dell Dimension XPS T and ECC memory.

> ECC memory seems to be the common denominator; it may be that the card
> is doing Bad Things to the bus during memory accesses.  I don't know, I
> don't have specs for the card so I can't really make any kind of
> educated guess, but I certainly hope this helps Cameron figure it out.

I'm running on a Gateway PIII/600, 256M ECC SDRAM.  I get a similar kernel
panic (trap 19 with interrupts disabled, and an ECC error) when I attempt
to use the soundcard.  It's detected completely normally.

Is this still a well-known and being-worked-on thing, or should I send
verbose dmesg output and kernel config?

apm0 enabled, per GENERIC.  Major differences from generic:

IPFIREWALL (+VERBOSE, +DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT, +DIVERT, +DUMMYNET)
HZ=10000
NMBCLUSTERS=8192

no scsi, pared down ethernet interfaces, added 4 bpf devices.

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/