Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:50:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 1000A

Steve Price writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > My father-in-law just dropped an AlphaServer 1000A by the
 > house that he wants me to install FreeBSD on.  Question is
 > how do I get it to drop to the console?  I've downloaded
 > the firmware update from DEC, put it on a DOS floppy, and
 > named the file fwupdate.exe but the box insists on booting
 > from dka0 and into OpenVMS despite my best efforts.
 >
 > Thanks for any and all enlightenment.

If its running VMS that means you've got the SRM console and you
probably don't need to bother w/a firmware update.

There's a couple of ways to get to the console:

- Look for a halt button & press it.
- Madly hit ^C and/or ^P while its booting
- If all else fails, yank the boot disk.

When you get to the console, change the auto_action variable from boot
to halt.  Eg:
>>> set auto_action halt

Drew