Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:35:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3 contains no symbols

Can someone explain to me how a program is supposed to link against a
shared library that contains no symbols?

I've been having trouble for weeks now trying to build certain ports
(xfmail, qt, avifile, to name a few).  It seems to be C++ linkage problems,
from what I can tell.  I've successfully built some of these ports on a
freshly installed system I setup for a friend, but not on this one.

What am I not getting here and/or not doing right?  I just cvsupped -stable
again, rebuilt world and kernel (with COMPAT3x and COMPAT4x enabled in
/etc/make.conf), and still get this:

$ nm libstdc++.so.3
/usr/libexec/elf/nm: libstdc++.so.3: no symbols

Apparently, /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3 is being stripped of all its symbols
before being installed!

Tried installing the compat3x port, added /usr/local/lib/compat to the
ldconfig paths, and still no good.  Ports are still breaking during the
builds.

My CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf are simply "-O -pipe", and I'm using CPUTYPE=k7
(-march=k6).

Frankly, I'm at a loss as to what to do.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

Those who express random thoughts to legislative committees are often
surprised and appalled to find themselves the instigators of law.
                -- Mark B. Cohen