Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:44:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux_Base Port - Any Workarounds?

Drew Tomlinson writes:
 > The linux_base port is broken for Alpha.  I saw some email here a while
 > ago about this.  I just tried again today but no luck.  Are there any
 > workarounds to get it to build?  It fails when the linux kernel module
 > tries to load and fails.  Any help appreciated as I would like to run
 > the Linux Netscape browser and try the Linux versions of RealPlayer.

There is no linux netscape browser for alpha.    The alpha netscape
is for Tru64 (aka osf1).

Anyway, as was disscussed here, you need to load the osf kernel module
before loading the linux kernel module:

# kldload osf1
# kldload linux
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
# make install

Also, put osf1_enable="YES" as well as linux_enable="YES"  in
/etc/rc.conf so that the module are loaded when the system reboots.

Drew