Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:08:08 +0100
From:      Richard Brooksby <Richard.Brooksby@pobox.com>
To:        Sean Harding <sharding@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Cc:        Sean Harding <sharding@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD under Virtual PC

At 1998-07-24 11:32 -0700, Sean Harding wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Richard Brooksby wrote:
>
> > I suspect that Virtual PC doesn't emulate the devices exactly enough.  They
> > probably only got them working well enough for the Windows drivers to work
> > correctly.  I guess I could get into driver debugging but I don't have the
>
> Well, it works ok with OPENSTEP and Intel Rhapsody...And I've heard of
> Linux working.

I haven't been able to get Red Hat Linux 5.1 to work.  It appears to
install correctly but falls over in a big heap at boot time, with all sorts
of weird and wonderful errors from the startup scripts and from init.
Eventually it just sits there and won't respond.  Very odd.

> > What's your source for this information?  Are there people at Connectix who
> > are willing to discuss this kind of thing?
>
> To be honest, I don't remember. I think I heard about third-hand that
> someone had complained to FreeBSD people, who in-turn complained to
> Connectix, who did a 1.x release claiming to have the fix for that as one
> of the changes. Now I have 2.0 and it still doesn't work. Generally from
> what I hear, Connectix is pretty interested in making sure that VPC is a
> quality PC hardware emulator which will run pretty much anything. So, I
> think they like to try to fix things like this. It's just that I have
> LinuxPPC on my desktop machine, FreeBSD on a PC and my laptop would be too
> slow for it to be fun anyway. So, I haven't pursued it much.

Just to let you know that FreeBSD 2.2.7 (which I received this morning)
also panics with a "bad dir" error during installation of the "bin"
distribution.

Shame.

Does anyone know the nature of the problem?  It seems to be with the "wd"
disk driver.  For a start, unless the CD-ROM is in "alternate"
configuration the kernel just doesn't find it at all.