Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 13:41:06 +1000
From:      "Craig Nuttall" <admin@aus.sh>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   problems with var partition

the /var partition on my ATA100 HDD has started to cause me some problems.
The server experienced a "dirty" shutdown (power fail) and on reboot  got
quite a few fsck errors and the request to run fsck manualy.

I did that and repaired the problems, now I am seeing various processes
exiting with error code 11 for no apparent reason, also if I run fsck after
5-10 mins of uptime, I see errors on the var partition.

seems that as soon as files are written or removed from the var partition, I
then get errors. I can reboot to single user and run fsck to fix the errors
but it would appear that I may be losing data each time I do that.

softupdates is active on /var, but the symptoms remain even if I disable
softupdates. I am at a loss as to what I need to do here, starting to wonder
if I have to reinstall :-(

any help would be appreciated, please reply to admin@aus.sh since I am not
subscribed to this list

Thanks in advance
Craig.

(happy to provide any other details which may be needed, just dont know how
much or what to provide right now)