Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 20:27:09 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: FBSDBOOT.EXE

> > The loader won't help you because you are booting from under DOS, but
> > the loader will boot the kernel just fine off a DOS filesystem.
>
> I'd like to understand this aspect of the loader better.  This mode
> might be useful for booting from (for example) a DOS flash filesystem?

Typically a bootable volume on the PC has a helper BIOS that makes it
look like a floppy disk.

> Um... off to the source code.  Thanks for the tip.

The loader's multiple filesystem support is pretty simple and
consequently a bit stupid; it will simply apply every filesystem module
to the current device until one works (yay!) or they all fail.  It's so
stupid that you can even call it recursively (this is how transparent
gunzipping works, and why the files have to have different names).
--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org