Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 17:11:47 -0500
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mb.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting a program at boot time on virtual terminal

Hi all,

What I'd like to do is start a program on one of my virtual terminals
when my FreeBSD 4.8 machine boots up.

By 'program' I mean a program besides xdm or getty, actually.  The man
page implies it is possible, but how specifically can I do this?  When I
try putting anything besides getty or xdm or none in /etc/ttys, I get

  getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv7, sleeping 30 secs

I take it the program I start has to have some provision for logging in.
I tried starting it with 'su', with no luck.  I can't think of any other
way to specify that a command be run on a virtual terminal by a given
user on startup.  Hoping someone here can give me a hint.

TIA
-Chris