Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:17:01 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>, lcremean@tidalwave.net, stuart@internationalschool.co.uk, eivind@yes.no, gibbs@plutotech.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile problem

At 2:32 AM -0500 6/10/98, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> The big diference is that config can not be used to compile userland
>> programs.  Although Eivind talked about userland source configuration,
>> config will still be only a source tree tool, I think.  There's no need
>> to have config around in /usr/sbin.
>
>I actually have to agree.  Having config/ not come along with the ksrc
>distribution or get updated as part of src-sys with cvsup

I think that the necessity to distribute config as a part of the kernel sources
is something upon which there is no disagreement. The question about where
to put
those sources is a different matter.

I argue that, since the tool is a userland program, /usr/sbin is the
appropriate
place for it to reside. Because of compile time options, etc. it does not
belong in the src/sys subtree. The fact that its usefulness is of limited scope
does not change its fundamental nature.

There is a large set of tools which are needed to build a kernel. A binary
version
of each of them is distributed in the release. If any of them change, and the
revised version is necessary to properly compile the latest version of the
kernel,
then arrangements need to be made to distribute those changes along with the
changes to the kernel. However, this does not imply that the sources for
the tool
should be mixed with those of the kernel. The organization of the source tree
needs to be determined by the structure of the system it represents. It should
not be driven by the distribution mechanism.

Richard Wackerbarth