Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:41:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fedi@ms13.hinet.net
Subject:   Re: Burn CD not allowed copy

> Get used to the idea that any form of ``copy protection'' is basically
> meaningless in the computer area, since somebody else will always find
> a way to work around it.

If worse comes to worse, there are people who will cheerily help
other people dump RAM images of already executing programs and
the code preamble necessary to cause them to load and reset the
registers and program counter, then resume execution.

So even if you do come up with a workable copy protection scheme,
people will just grab the image after it has been started and
called the verification code.

If you insist on copy protection, you should simply silk-screen
"I am smarter than you" onto the CDROM... at least that way it
will stay around when some cracker says "Oh no you're not!",
unlike non-physical software claims that you are smarter than
him (ie: copy protection).

Of course, if you really wanted to make it inconvenient for a
cracker, build a dongle.  This will make it inconvenient for
your users as well, but you can bask happily in the knowledge
that for every user who can't use your software, neither can 10
crackers -- who would never have paid you a dime anyway, since
people prevented from stealing something don't go out and buy
it because they can't steal it.

8-P.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org