Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:53:02 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Oliver Blasnik <ob@omnilink.net>
Cc:        dg@root.com, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again: CRD-Raid-Controller and FreeBSD 3.x

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 23:36:08 +0100, Oliver Blasnik wrote:
> David & Justin wrote:
>
> > >Have you deployed a configuration with two systems attached to the
> > >same array?  This is not the first time that I've heard of CRD problems
> > >with multi-host access.
> >
> >    Good point, no, all of our systems are single host access to the
> > controller.
>
> Ooookaaay...
> I do have one spare-controller left. Some old, slow diskdrives are also
> available, I'll try it out with both modes (single and dual-host-configuration)
> and write down the results. Hope I do find enough time for that :) If that's the
> solution, we can close that thread.

My guess is that that may be your problem.  Charles Sprickman had a fair
number of problems with a CMD RAID controller, and his setup was a
multi-LUN setup.

> Btw, I never saw any "reducing taggedqueues"... Firmware on all is C1.9 - like
> David's. VERY interesting thing. And, after fixing all servers to max 4-tq's,
> they're running without errors. Hu?

You won't see any messages about the number of tags being reduced if you're
running FreeBSD 3.2 or later.  You can see them if you boot with -v, ("boot
kernel -v" at the loader prompt).  You can also check the number of
outstanding tags with camcontrol in FreeBSD 3.2 and later.  e.g.:

{panzer:/usr/home/ken:2:0} camcontrol tags da1
(pass1:ahc1:0:1:0): device openings: 64

The above command just gives you the total number of possible transactions
for the device in question.

The total number possible is the sum of openings + active:

{panzer:/usr/home/ken:3:0} camcontrol tags da1 -v
(pass1:ahc1:0:1:0): dev_openings  55
(pass1:ahc1:0:1:0): dev_active    9
(pass1:ahc1:0:1:0): devq_openings 55
(pass1:ahc1:0:1:0): devq_queued   0