Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 1997 00:40:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   routed and rip V1

Alright, I've been wondering about this for a long time, and now I
just have to ask.

I confess that I have my router on my network distributing routing
information via RIP v1. The 'old' routed distributed with the 4.4BSD
sources (which I think was shipped with FreeBSD prior to FreeBSD 2.2.0)
correctly picked up the routing information and modified the system
routing table accordingly. Everything matched up correctly with the
other systems on my network running routed or gated.

The first thing I noticed after bootstrapping later versions of FreeBSD
with the 'new' routed (based on the code from SGI) was that routed was
no longer updating the routing table correctly. I run routed -q, and
nothing happens. Tonight I compiled gated 3.5.5 and that works correctly:
it picks up all the right routes and adds them to the system routing table.

At first I thought the 'new' routed was perhaps a little rough around
the edges and was just in need of a few tweaks, but after several months
waiting to see if it would improve, it still just sits there like a bump
on a log. rtquery -1 <hostname> does work, but rtquery doesn't seem to
share its code with routed.

I don't want any discussions on the merits of RIP v1 (or lack thereof).
Somebody just tell me: is routed goofy or am I just missing something
obvious. Is there anyone else using routed with RIP v1 besides me?

-Bill