Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:41:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        Lee Mark Mercado <mercadolee@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 11:14:13PM -0800, Lee Mark Mercado wrote:
> > i setup my own DNS and everything works fine, *i think*. but my problem is
> > when i reverse dns lookup my IP its showing my ISP's assigned name (Name:
> > adsl-66-126-195-XXX.dsl.sndg01.pacbell.net).
> >
> > is it posible for me to make the reverse dns to show 'mydomain.com' and not
> > the one my ISP has given to me ?
>
> Sure, just make your DNS server authoritive for 195.125.66.in-addr.arpa.
> Only problems:
>
> 1. You won't be able, unless you can find out how to stay up to
>    date with the real data for 195.125.66.in-addr.arpa, to reverse
>    resolve the other IP addresses in 66.125.195.x.

If you've a staticly-allocated IP address, it _is_ possible to be
authoritative for
	123.195.126.66.in-addr.arpa.

- you just need to persuade your ISP that you're clueful enough for them
to delegate it to you. Odds are, they won't be prepared to do so. You
_don't_ need to be authoritative for the whole /24.

> 2. You and only you, unless you can convince pacbell.net to delegate
>    the reverse delegation to you, will be able to reverse resolve it
>    into yourdomain.com.
>
> So in other words, it is possible but it's very hard and not worth
> the troubles to persuade it.
>
> Edwin

Generalisation is never appropriate.