Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:17:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel problems

Even though I recompiled my kernel without

options ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA

the ata1 device is still setting the ad2 and ad3 devices to WDMA2 at boot.
The drives on ata0 are in the correct mode, BIOSPIO.  The workaround I had
for this was to put this line in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:

hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio

This fixed the problem since it made the change right after the kernel and
drivers were loaded.

Now, three of those four drives I just concat'd together with
vinum.  This works great, except that during boot the kernel loads vinum
and the following errors happen just after.  Right at the end of dmesg:

-------
vinum: loaded
ad2: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad2: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad2: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad2: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1-master: WARNING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
ad2: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad3: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad3: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad3: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad3: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1-slave: WARNING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
ad3: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata1: resetting devices .. done
vinum: reading configuration from /dev/da0s1e
vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad3s1e
vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad2s1e
vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad1s1e
-------

The line that I added to sysctl.conf doesn't help with this, because the
sysctl changes from it are made long after vinum is loaded.

How can I prevent this error from happening without starting vinum later,
after the sysctl configuration has happened?

--
Robert Simmons
Systems Administrator