Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 22:31:50 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: someone should be starting an archive of these...

Greg Lehey wrote:

> > - yet a whole ship was more or less incapacitated (it had to be
> > *towed* to port!)
>
> Claims were made to that effect.  I personally think that a problem of
> that magnitude would have become known earlier.

Hah!  Little do you know!  I used to work as a test engineer and
programmer for defense contractors.  We had one night in a test
lab when a fellow test engineer, Sue Duhring, was idly tapping the
enter key on the keyboard for the U.S. Air Force Airborne Launch
Control Center -- the "doomsday bird" that is the backup control
center for the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile wings.  The
system crashed.  She happened to hit on a rate that caused the system
to read the keyboard buffer slowly due to a pathological problem,
and the keyboard buffer overflowed and overwrote something *very*
important.

We caught this in testing by sheer luck.

> > for days because of this.
> >
> > There shouldn't be *anything* that can be typed into the
> > system that could have such an effect, intentional or not!
>
> Sure, but is that an OS problem?  GIGO: write bad software for FreeBSD
> and it'll run badly too.
>
> I think Microsoft's "operating systems" stink.  But we've got to
> remember that applications aren't just operating systems, and this one
> just doesn't look like an OS problem.

Exactly right: it looks like a combination "bonehead programmer" and
"inadequate testing" problem, which cannot be attributed to Microsoft,
but rather to the application developers.  They need to change their
GIGO to GIDO: Garbage In, Diagnostics Out (or to my favorite variant
of this, GIAO: Garbage In, Abuse Out.  ;^)