Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 19:09:05 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Prantik Kundu" <LaForgery@email.msn.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: i need some advice

Prantik Kundu wrote:

<snip>
>i have a parallel zip drive, is there any freebsd driver that can let me
use
>it?

Yes, you can use your parallel Zip drive. In FreeBSD 3.1, it runs off the
ppbus as device vpo. You'll have to build a custom kernel to activate it
(building a custom kernel is not hard to do, and desirable as well).

>can freebsd read the files on a FAT16 drive?

Yes, you can mount msdos filesystems.

>the copy i have is 2.2.7 with the 4 cds and the book in a txt file, as a
>newbie, do you think i should bother getting 3.1?

I'd recommend getting 3.1 on CD's ($40 from http://www.cdrom.com/ ). You
could install 2.2.7 and then upgrade your sources, but you'll avoid the
painfull a.out-to-elf transition if you start fresh with 3.1.

>I have 4 partitions C,D,E,F: D,E, and F are in my extended partition. I
dont
>use my E: partition, so should i delete it under fdisk and then will the
>FreeBSD installer show that E: is unused?

Ummm, you have *two* partitions and four *logical drives*. Drive C: is the
Primary DOS Partition, and D:, E:, and F: are on the Extended DOS Partition.

You could use Partition Magic to free the space taken up by your empty E:
drive and make the Extended DOS Partition smaller. FreeBSD can then use this
free space for its partition (called a *slice* in Unix-speak).

Note that when you get rid of E:, Windows will start calling drive F: drive
E:, so you'll want to check if this is going to affect any Windows shortcuts
or programs.

Also, you'll need to install a boot manager so you can boot to Windows or
FreeBSD at will.

And of course, the standard advice is: Make a backup before you do any of
this!

See the FreeBSD Handbook section "MS-DOS User's Questions and Answers"
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook19.html#21) and the tutorial
"Installing and Using FreeBSD With Other Operating Systems"
(http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multios/multios.html) for more info.

>a friend of mine told me that there is a linux emulator for freeBSD, is it
>on 1 of the 4 cds on the 2.2.7 package?

If I remember correctly, you can turn-on Linux emulation from within the
installation program (sysinstall).

>im sick of nt, it crashes demands a hoard of RAM ( i have 64) and doesnt
>work with half the stuff out there, and its too complicated for primitivity
>please, help me out

Well, if you're sick of NT now, wait 'till you get used to FreeBSD! :-)

Good luck,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!