Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2004 08:43:53 +0100
From:      "Richard P. Williamson" <richard.williamson@u4eatech.com>
To:        epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: failing to boot from mfsroot.gz

At 17:24 30/06/2004. epilogue had this to say:
>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:11:07 +0100
>"Richard P. Williamson" <richard.williamson@u4eatech.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a 4.8 system that booted from flash using a kernel.gz and
>> mfsroot.gz. The ethernet parts were not fully supported by the fxp driver
>> in 4.8, so I was testing 4.10 to see if they were with that version of
>> the OS.
>>
>> I've replace the kernel.gz with a 4.10 version, and the mfsroot.gz
>> is built using 4.10 objects.  If I try to boot it, this is what I
>> get:

>> md0: Preloaded mfs_root "/mfsroot> 50331648 bytes at 0xc02b2794
>> md1: malloc disk
>> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 in isa0
>> sio0: type 16550A, console
>> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
>> sio1: type 16550A
>> vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3b0-0x3bb iomem 0xb0000-0xb7ffff on
>> isa0 ad0: 30MB <SanDisk SDCFB-32> [490/4/32] at ata0-master PI01
>> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
>>
>> And then nothing.  Nada.  Zip.
>>
>> No kernel panic message, no prompt, nothing.
>>
>> Which leaves me in a bit of a pickle as to what to try.
>>
>> If I use a 4.10 kernel with a 4.8 mfsroot.gz, it boots,
>> but tells me that proc is out of sync with the kernel.
>
>If i get you correctly, you're trying to run a 4.10 kernel on a 4.8
>system.  (?)

That'd be stoopid.  No, I'm trying to run a 4.10 kernel with a 4.10
mfsroot.gz.  But nothing happens.  The kernel inflates the mfsroot.gz
into md0, configures itself, and then attempts to mount the
root filesystem on /dev/md0c .  And then that's it.  No further
messages on the console, no panic, no nothing.

When I run a 4.8 kernel with a 4.8 system, all ok.

When I (accidently) ran the 4.10 kernel with the 4.8 mfsroot.gz,
it ran (marginally), while complaining about things like proc
size mismatch.  But it did come up.

>if i've misunderstand your intention, apologies.

no worries.  My second paragraph may have been unclear ;>

What I'm looking for is 'debug methodologies', ie what can
I do to try and trace where it is falling over.  Assume I'm
limited to printf. Is there any way to enable bizarre
debugging support in the booting kernel, on a headless,
embedded device...

Thanks for responding,
rip