Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:31:34 -0400
From:      John DeStefano <john.destefano@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI AGP card and Xorg

Robert Storey said:
> Sorry John, I apologize for not reading all the to the bottom of your
> post.

No problem; I appreciate your reply as well as any help I can get.
Just mentioned that the information was already in the post so I
didn't have to type it out again. ;)  But please don't forget to
include the poster as a CC: when you reply, if at all possible.

> The only other thing I'd suggest is playing with xvidtune. I had to do
> this to get my screen to center properly. The frustrating thing with
> xvidtune is that it doesn't automatically save the adjustments you make
> - you have to manually edit xorg.conf - but at least it makes it
> relatively easy to find the right settings.

In my experience thus far, it seems you always need to tweak xorg.conf
after its creation anyway, regardless of what tool is used to create
it.  Unfortunately, I've not once yet run an X-config tool and been
able to use that config file as-is on any system.

BTW, perhaps this is a dumb question, but in skimming the xvidtune man
pages, I saw it mentioned that it's a client interface to XFree86...
is this because the man page was written pre-Xorg and hasn't been
updated, or will it work only with XFree86?

> I will say that FreeBSD really could use a better configuration utility
> for X, though I realize that the developers have their hands full just
> trying to get 5.3 out the door.

Amen.  IMHO, this would be a huge step toward the perception of
usability for people like me who aren't afraid to get their hands a
bit dirty yet aren't quite gurus.

> regards,
> Robert
>
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:12:48 -0400
> John DeStefano <john.destefano@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Robert... but I did try 'vesa' before posting (2nd & 3rd paras
> > from bottom of my post below).  I'm sure either 'raden' or 'ati' are
> > the way to go, I just can't seem to get either one to work.  I also
> > read through the entire README.ati, and found it a bit of a
> > frustrating read when trying to look for answers on 'radeon' drivers
> > for my card... not much relevent info there for the end-user.

Thanks,
~John