Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:46:42 -0500
From:      wc_fbsd@xxiii.com
To:        "Andy Greenwood" <greenwood.andy@gmail.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ssmtp

At 11:08 AM 3/29/2006, Andy Greenwood wrote:
>I'm having some trouble setting up ssmtp ..... but when I try to use
>/usr/bin/mail, I get logs in my maillog trying to use sendmail,
>which is set to none in rc.conf. How do I set this up so that all
>mail sends out through ssmtp?

Edit /etc/mail/mailer.conf to use ssmtp instead of sendmail.  "man
mailer.conf" if you're not sure what's going on.  If you installed
via ports, you can just use "make replace".

You'll also want to completely disable sendmail (easier said than
done.)  In rc.conf, add:
sendmail_enable="NONE"    # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (YES/NO/NONE).
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"    # Start a localhost-only MTA for mail submission

   -Wayne