Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:18:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make search isn't making any results in ports

parv <parv_@yahoo.com> scripsisse creditur (is believed to have written):

> this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 15 06:04 -0400,
> sent by Salvo Bartolotta
> >
> > On 8/15/2001, at 8:25:41 AM, Parv seems to have written:
> >
> > > today and a few days earlier whenever i tried to do make search, i
> > > got nothing. in ports & ports/net directories, i tried...
> >
> > > # make search key=yahoo
> >
> > Surely you [re]made your index recently, ie issued such a command as
> "cd
> > /usr/ports; make index"?
>
> yes, i tried it before & after cvsup. no cigar.
>

> > BTW, the "yahoo" key shows a few results on my machine right now.
> >
> > -- Salvo
>
> can i have your machine then? please? :)
>

> if it matters, here is /etc/make.conf (most of comments removed)...
>

> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/source/obj
>
> PORTSDIR=/source/ports
>
> CPUTYPE=i686
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> CXXFLAGS+=  -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe # make flags for kernel
>
> INSTALL=install -C
> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=    YES
>
> USA_RESIDENT=  YES
>
> NOPROFILE= true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
>
> HAVE_MOTIF= yes
> XFREE86_VERSION=4
>
> ENABLE_SUIDPERL=   false
>
> WANT_OPENSSL_MANPAGES= true
> DOC_LANG= en_US.ISO-8859-1
> ENGLISH_ONLY=YES
>
> COMPAT20= yes
> COMPAT21= yes
> COMPAT22= yes
> COMPAT3X= yes
>
> SUP_UPDATE=     yes
> SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2 -z
> SUPHOST= cvsup2.freebsd.org

"make search" is performed on the INDEX (cf ports(7)). I seem to understand
that the search operation used to work on your machine, and that the
above-mentioned problem has only been present for the past few days.

<guess type="wild">
I would say that your INDEX file is scr**ed up and/or in an inconsistent
state. Since remaking it ("make index") didn't work, the
scr**age^Winconsistent state seems to originate in your ports tree.

BTW, how did you manage to achieve that? :-)
</guess>

You should take a closer look at your ports tree, in order to see where the
problem lies and/or whether it can be easily fixed. At the moment, the only
(drastic) workaround that comes to mind is the following:

0) blow your current ports tree;
1) reinstall the ports from your most recent CD;
2) resync it **twice**:

2a) the first time, you "update" it to the date of release of your CD (as
close as possible) by adding the "date" keyword (cf cvsup(1)); which is in the
spirit of the suggestions found in J. Polstra's site at http://www.polstra.com
(cf Q12, Q13 in the FAQ): that is, you create the checkouts file in the Right
Way(tm);

2b) the second time, you actually update the ports tree, as usual (ie "tag=."
only).

N.B. Pay attention to the format of the "date" keyword (cf cvsup(1)).

Hope this is of some help,
Salvo