Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 19:12:05 -0800
From:      "Dr. MacEnstein" <bangpath@bellsouth.net>
To:        "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IA-64 support

>> > although NT5 is 64-bit compliant I don't want that to be my window
>> > into 64-bit computing....
>> I believe that when Intel was pushing the Merced (they seem to have
>> forgotten about it), they promised to give the free OS people all the
>> information they would need, plus access to Intel's testing facilities.
>> I'd rather just run FreeBSD/Alpha on a non-vaporware 64-bit CPU, thank
>> you :)
>
>Thats all fine and dandy but did you here about AMD 64 bit CPU thats
>coming out earlier than the Merced.  It's suppose to jump the 100Mhz bus
>and go straight to 200Mhz and modeled after the Alpha.  Pentium killer or
>just hype?
>
>JOHN

Check out Maximum PC magazine (current issue). It has a great article on
the technical aspects of the AMD K7; 64-bit, multi-processing capable,
advanced FPU, 200 MHz bus, based on Alpha and Intel technology. THAT'S what
I want to run FreeBSD.

There are two major products that came |
out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD Unix. We  |
don't believe this to be a coincidence.|
		-Author Unknown	       |