Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:03:36 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet "SRA secure login" fails intermittently

Nick Barnes wrote:
 >[examples of the same password both working and not working with SRA
telnet]

Hi. I initially imported SRA into the tree. I see this periodically too,
and have since day one. I suspect when it picks its DH components there
is an occasional rounding error in there somewhere which ends up keeping
both sides from being able to agree. The only thing to do about it is
break the connection and try again.

SRA was imported when there was no other way to remotely access a newly
installed FreeBSD machine without exposing the root password at least
once (to do the make install on the ssh port). Shortly after SRA was in,
openssh was imported, which sort of made it a moot point. SRA's DH
constants are too small for today's CPU horsepower and it is vulnerable
to MiM (but then, so is ssh unless you actually verify the host keys
first using a trusted channel) and it is not extensible. But it is
better than plaintext.