Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2014 14:11:11 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   texlive: rehash doesn't search local paths!

--Sig_//gBvpSIBy7N69W.1gOUQL10

On an experimental installation, I try to swith from print/teTeX to
print/texlive-full.

Local TeXT-written projects, important papers, do not work anymore
after that switch although I find most of the *.sty package files
installed by TeXlive.

I tried to perform "texhash". But that tool is now, in contrary to the
teTeX version of tha particular software, not searching local paths
anymore.

I have a lot of stuff in ~/.texmf-local. I found that texlive is
obviously installing its own local config folder, it is in my case

.texlive2012

Well, I copied the content of .texmf-local
into .texlive2012/texmf-local (avoiding the leading "dot") and reran
texhash, texconfig rehash, mktexlsr. None seem to remedy the problem
that I face with several important packages like glossary/glossaries,
jurabib.

Running that tool (texhash, i.e.) only searches system paths:

texhash: /usr/local/share/texmf: directory not writable. Skipping...
texhash: /usr/local/share/texmf-config: directory not writable.
Skipping... texhash: /usr/local/share/texmf-dist: directory not
writable. Skipping... texhash: /usr/local/share/texmf-var: directory
not writable. Skipping... texhash: Done.

Problem in my LaTeX projects looks like this:

(/home/ohartmann/.texlive2012/texmf-config/tex/latex/glossaries/glossary-hy=
pern
av.sty)
(/home/ohartmann/.texlive2012/texmf-config/tex/latex/glossaries/glossary-li=
st.s
ty)
(/home/ohartmann/.texlive2012/texmf-config/tex/latex/glossaries/glossary-lo=
ng.s
ty)
(/home/ohartmann/.texlive2012/texmf-config/tex/latex/glossaries/glossary-su=
per.
sty
(/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/supertabular/supertabular.sty))
(/home/ohartmann/.texlive2012/texmf-config/tex/latex/glossaries/glossary-tr=
ee.s
ty)) (./akronyme.tex) (./glossar.tex) (./symbole.tex)) *

commenting out several "faulty" \usepackage{} statement simply jumps to
a next fault package and at the point I have no idea what TeX is
complaining about, since the "*" at the end of the fault signals
usually some kind of none-existent file/.sty/package.

I'm new to TeXlive and before the frustration starts to take over I'll
ask for some advice, I think I'm missing something essential here
since I never used TeXlive before.

Is there any cure?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver=20