Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:13:27 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: $DIR/$DIR.sgml -> $DIR/index.sgml

On 2000-03-21 10:01 -0800, Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net> wrote:
> >   1.  From now on, we always use $DIR/index.sgml
>
> Hear, hear!  (Or is that, here, here?)

You've got it right the first time.  Searching for a distionary
entry didn't yield any exact results, but one entry noted that
it was an idiomatic expression intended to convey agreement.

Web1913 also has a relevant note:

     Note: Hear, or Hear him, is often used in the imperative,
           especially in the course of a speech in English
           assemblies, to call attention to the words of the
           speaker.

                 Hear him, . . . a cry indicative, according to
                 the tone, of admiration, acquiescence,
                 indignation, or derision.          --Macaulay.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    Black holes were created
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org              when God divided by zero.