Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 21:56:45 +0200
From:      Steven Walker <swalk@anit.es>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XFree86 & things

Hi,

 I have read the XFree86 chapter in "The Complete FreeBSD" on installing
this and am worried that I might damage my hardware having an old second
hand monitor with no documentation.

The snag is that I do not actually know what the prog  does.  Is it a must
have, a luxury or a load of junk?  I would hate to spend ages getting it
set up and zap it 10 minutes later.

Incidentally I did see the following in the recent  FreeBSD-Newbies First
Aid Kit

 "FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG is the place to send all questions about
   installing, configuring, running and using FreeBSD. All help requests
   are handled by FreeBSD-Questions, including newbies questions.

   FreeBSD-Newbies is different. We don't ask for help or answer how-to
   questions. It is a discussion forum for newbies."

I think my posting just about complies with that but I do find it rather
restricting.  The questions group is very busy and most of what goes on
there is completely unintelligible at the moment.

What would really suit me is a less busy group dealing with more elementary
questions without feeling intimidated.  It would also be a lot less time
consuming not having to wade through 100 messages a day looking for the odd
nugget.   I suspect some of the corporate network managers have the same
feeling about finding  interesting topics.

A good example today is ML Duke's explanation of how to reinstall Boot
Manager after M$ zapped it. I was having exactly this problem, and was
going to start searching around.  I would have got to the FAQ after
searching the book.  I have just been saved a lot of time and am grateful.

Maybe it is because I have no Unix background that I am finding it hard going.

Steve