Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 14:44:27 -0700
From:      "Manders, Christopher" <Christopher.Manders@ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Customizing installation/distribution.

G'day,

I need to be able to distribute an FTP version of FreeBSD with some =
minor changes...

We have a standard set of customizations that we need to be able to dist =
out in cookie-cutter style to our production systems, and include:
- Custom /etc/motd
- Custom /etc/pf.conf
- Custom /etc/ssh/sshd_config
- Custom /etc/ttys
- Custom /boot/loader.conf (e.g. beastie_disable=3D"YES")
- Remove 'toor' account
- Remove *GCC* from base, so no-one can compile anything.=20

I have a FreeSBIE CD that I have set up to:
1) Boot a Live FreeBSD system, replete with PERL and a few other pkgs to =
allow (2) to work.
2) A PERL script that asks the boot user some info =
(IP/netmask/gw/FTP-install-server/hostname).
3) A modified sysinstall that asks for no input if the config file from =
the previos step is found, and reaches out to our FTP server.

I am finding that the source is checked out from ncvs each time, so all =
changes are not saved when I cd /usr/src/release && make release. I have =
specified the following with the 'make release':=20
=20
ROOTDIR=3D/data/release
BUILDNAME=3D6.2.mybuild
NODOC=3DYES=20
NOPORT=3DYES=20
CVSROOT=3D/data/ncvs=20
RELEASE=3DRELENG_6_2

Any clues as to how I can assure that my changes are included?=20

Note: As far as PKGs go, that I have figured out for additional =
ports/PKGs to add onto the BASE. It is the BASE distribution that is =
giving me a headache.

Pointers and suggestions welcome.

TIA!
-cjm