Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 10:40:19 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hey kernel hackers, this is worth a read.

"Jan B. Koum" wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 08:58:09PM -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
> > http://features.linuxtoday.com/stories/8191.html

> >From the article:
>
> "Linux 2.4 also includes a completely rewritten networking layer."
>
> Great. After a few years from now when they get all the bugs out, they
> will be right back to the quality of early 4.4BSD quality ;)
>
> However, the SMP stuff they are working on is something we need IMHO.

	Agreed on both counts. I also like the idea of shorter turnover time
between major branches. We've already got a pretty considerable amount of
stuff that can't be ported back to -Stable without major headaches. It's
not always easy to know exactly where to draw the line, but I think that
the move from 3->4 should probably take less time than the move from 2->3
did.

Doug