Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 08:14:20 +0300
From:      Meir Dukhan <meir@bis.co.il>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, meir@bis.co.il
Subject:   Re: Weird last(1) output after installing wu-ftpd

Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998, Meir Dukhan wrote:
>
> > 3 days ago I installed wu-ftpd on 2 FreeBSD (2.1.6 and 2.2.2) boxes,
> > and on a Redhat 4.1 Linux. All work fine.
> >
> > However, on the FreeBSD boxes I get a junk last(1) output (see below),
> > with a lot of  "still login in" connections, which is totally wrong
> > (tested with netstat). Also, the last(1) output on the Linux box is ok.
>
> You mixed a -CURRENT binary with a -STABLE system.  -CURRENT has long
> usernames and -STABLE does not, and since the fields in wtmp are
> fixed-length, it scribbled all over it.

Thanks for the info, but how do I fix it and what -CURRENT and -STABLE means
? Are you saying that my systems (2.1.6 and 2.2.2) are 'stable',
but the wu-ftpd version I installed is 'current' ? How can I check these
tags -CURRENT and -STABLE ? I tried various flags of pkg_info and see no
such tags.

Regards,

Meir