Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 13:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven Kehlet <kehlet@techfuel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem SOLVED, uw-imapd and NFS (was: weird hangs: networking hosed (except for ping), can switch consoles but can't type)

I posted this message last December, and have been wrangling with the
problem ever since--until now, I think :-).  I'm almost certain what the
problem is, so this message is for the archives and any luckless soul
who may have the same problem :-).

In summary: my 3.3 box was routinely hanging (every 1-2wks) for no
apparant reason.  You could connect to ports, but nothing would happen.
The console would let you switch screens, but not type anything.  The
only solution was to reboot.  Well, the problem ended up being NFS and
some (mis)interaction with uw-imapd, and I only finally figured this out
by going off a hunch.

I've been running uw-imapd with the INBOX "snarfing" feature--basically
this automatically moves mail for users from /var/mail/user to
~user/INBOX.  Well, my users' home directories are NFS mounted off a
NetApp...

(Yes, I know the cardinal rule of NFS is never do mail over it, but I
figured this was mostly for locking problems, and I figured since all
mail access comes only from this one machine, file locking shouldn't be
a problem).

Also I really had no choice since I'm pretty much locked into uw-imapd
these days, and there is no way to get uw-imapd to do its snarfing thing
(which I need for another (non-freebsd) problem) to anywhere but the
user's home directory.

Out of ideas, I finally tried hacking imapd (by wrapping getpwnam()) to
have it snarf into a local directory instead of NFS.  Et voila, I've
been up a month with no hangs! :-)

I hear there are a ton of NFS fixes in 4.x which might fix this hanging
problem, but I'll probably stick with my current solution anyway.

I hope this might be helpful to anyone out there :-).  Thanks to
everyone who responded to my initial post!

Steve