Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 02:57:49 -0100
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system unstable, how to make it stable again ?

At 09:41 01.02.98 +1030, you wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 31, 1998 at 10:56:22AM -0100, Malte Lance wrote:
>> I have disklabeled / and /usr with disktab-entries that are parially wrong.
>> That never caused any problems so i was always too lazy to correct it.
>> And now i hesitate to update a broken system. I am considering a fresh
>> install to be the better way to go. On the other hand i have installed
>> many ports and configured the machine to be mail-hub, NS, www,
caching-proxy
>> and firewall. It would take many days of configuration-work to get a fresh
>> install to the same point.
>
>Not really.  Just read in the backup.

Right.
BTW ... does dump restore file-pipes and devices correct ?

>>> You've got a lot of peripherals on this machine.  Can you see any
>>> connection between peripheral activity and the hangups?
>>
>> Nope. The funny thing is, when the machine freezes, the harddrives,
>> when accessed at this moment, dont even have time to switch the lights off.
>
>Ah!  There's your answer!  It's a SCSI bus problem.  I thought it
>might be.  Are you sure you didn't add any peripherals recently?

Yes ... besides the DAT-Streamer.

>> No errors from the SCSI-system.
>> A few days ago i replugged the Sony-DAT but did not use it so far, just one
>> tar-backup on /usr
>
>OK.  There's your problem (I hadn't read this far when I made my
>previous comment).  I'd suspect termination.

No, it's in the chain and termination is disabled.

>Ah.  Don't expect a 'make world' to cure problems.  I think Doug White
>has some documentation on updating, but I don't know where.  We

Doug, are you reading this thread ?
Would you please give me the link Greg is talking about.
TIA

I give it two more crashes ... then i'll update :)

Greg, thanks so far.

Malte Lance.
malte@webmore.com