Date:       1 Feb 2002 19:24:03 PST
From:      Preety Puri <preetypuri@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        preetypuri@usa.net
Subject:   Found Possible bugs (IPV6)??

Hi ...

I have two issues ... both related to the ndp(IPV6)utility :

1. I am trying to add a temporary entry into the neighbor discovery cache=

using ndp. I noticed that it has a temp flag inorder to add temporary
entries(documented in the man page as well).

Here is wot i did :

ndp -s 3ffe::1123 1:2:3:4:5:6 temp

and here is wot ndp -a displayed :

ndp -a =

Neighbor                        Linklayer Address  Netif Expire    St Flg=
Prbs
3ffe::1234                      1:2:3:4:5:6         fxp0 permanent R     =
 =

so i am trying to add a temporary entry into the cache but it is always a=
dded
as a permanant entry ...

Is this a known issue/bug ??

2. The second issue is that the man page for "ndp -p" shows that it displ=
ays
all the prefix's in the list (that includes link local).
The man page for "ndp -P" shows that it flushes all the prefix's in the l=
ist.

But ndp -P (which is supposed to flush the prefix list) does not =

flush the link local address's. =

The reason it does'nt flush the entries is as follows : =

The ioctl -p SIOCSPFXFLUSH_IN6 in nd6.c (in function nd6_ioctl)explicitly=

checks to see if it a link local address and does'nt flush an entry based=
 on
that.

File :nd6.c ; Function : nd6_ioctl ()

(Notice i've pointed the check below using arrows)

case SIOCSPFXFLUSH_IN6:
	    {
		/* flush all the prefix advertised by routers */
		struct nd_prefix *pr, *next;

		s =3D splnet();
		for (pr =3D nd_prefix.lh_first; pr; pr =3D next) {
			struct in6_ifaddr *ia, *ia_next;

			next =3D pr->ndpr_next;

----->   if(IN6_IS_ADDR_LINKLOCAL(&pr->ndpr_prefix.sin6_addr)) <----
				continue; /* XXX */

so basically ignore any LINK LOCAL prefix's that are in the table. =

If we are allowed to have/add link local prefix's in the list , why are'n=
t we
allowed to remove them. Is there some reasoning behind this .. or is it s=
imply
a bug.

Thanks for all the help,
Preety.

"What u see is the virtual perception of u'r digital self"