Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 15:21:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        jlustig@title9sports.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD as intranet server

Jon Lustig is responsible for:
> I've been looking at products by Whistle communications
> (www.whistle.com) and I-Planet (www.i-planet.com).  These are both
> FreeBSD boxes that function as routers for dial-on-demand connections to
> an ISP and as intranet-type mail & WWW servers.
>
> I've been talking with both of them for a couple of weeks and after
> looking at the FreeBSD Web page, I've started to wonder if this isn't
> something I could do myself.
> I'm not too familiar with UNIX (I know "ls" and "login" and the internet
> commands) but I'm really smart and I've worked with a variety of OSs, so
> I get the general idea.  What do you think?
>         Also, what do you think of using a FreeBSD box in this context?
> Does
> it make sense to you?
>
> TIA for any advice on this.
>
> jon
> jlustig@title9sports.com

Hi.  To give you a little background, I maintain a small network
of FreeBSD, OS/2, Linux, Windows 3.11, Windows NT, and Windows 95
systems and also work on HP 9000, RS/6000, Sun Sparcstations, and
SGI Indys at a few places, which has given me some perspective
about this.

Quite honestly, professionals do not do a particularly good job;
I remember home directories NFS mounted on /tmp_mnt for months on
end;  I remember tcsh vanishing or moving occasionally, screwing
things up, etc.  I've not seen anything that more expensive
commercial operating systems have that FreeBSD doesn't, except
maybe a bunch of useless printed documentation.  FreeBSD seems to
be easy to support, the man pages are helpful, apropos works
(it doesn't on a RS/6000 I know of) and there is a structured way
you can ask questions of other experienced FreeBSD sysadmins.
FreeBSD is also cheap which makes me happy.  If you decide each
department in your organazation needs its own UNIX server, you
are not out $30,000 a crack in hardware.  Likewise since FreeBSD
is based on IBM PC archtecture, hardward support and parts are
more available that with some commercial vendors.

To get yourself started, I'd guess that you'll need some serious
time to get used to maintaining UNIX systems.  You'll probably
need a spare FreeBSD box to run experiments on.  However, you
typically need that with any vendor's equipment if there are more
than a few users on a system.  Because the hardware is so much
cheaper, you can afford two systems, one to test and experiment
on, and one for people doing real work.

My opinion is that FreeBSD is perfectly capable of doing the
things that you want it to, and if you spend enough time with a
few (okay, many books) you certainly can become a UNIX guru and
have a cool free software based network.

You can also use FreeBSD as a file server for windows and
macintosh clients using software like samba and CAP.  I'm
experimenting with samba and haven't had an opportunity to try
out CAP (yet).