Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:06:23 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD filesystem 1TB Limit

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:48:32PM -0800, Derrick Ryalls wrote:

> > At 2002-11-07T02:31:38Z, Marco Radzinschi
> > <marco@radzinschi.com> writes:
> >
> > > Pity I didn't know about this before I built two 1200 MB arrays.
> > > Linux and FreeBSD both died past 1 TB, so I had to make the array
> > > smaller.
> >
> > 1200*1MB == 1.2GB, does it not?
>
> Yes, it does not.
>
> Usually, when talking computers, people use 2^10 which = 1024.  So 1200
> MB = 1.17 GB.  Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

No you are wrong and right..vis-a-vis hard disks.
Some manafacturers do use powers of 2, and some do not. And which one
they use may be quite hard to find out until you install it, or maybe
use a magnifying glass on the small print.
I am running FreeBSD on a disk that is living proof of this !

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson