Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 11:18:00 +0300
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/ijb - Imported sources

You, Tim Vanderhoek, were spotted writing this on Mon, May 04, 1998 at 02:25:23AM -0400:

> > You demonstrate a falwed understanding of how HTML/HTTP works.
> >
> > Anything your browser shows you has been pulled, not pushed.
>
> Bah.  And I suppose your email reader is going to pull this
> paragraph but not pull the next one.  Perhaps you should pull
> alternating words from my message.  That would certainly save
> your bandwidth.

You demonstrate a flawed understanding of how SMTP/POP/IMAP
work. They do not allow you to choose parts of the message to
pull because that would not be useful. Your analogy is doubly
flawed because HTTP in reality does not "allow" you to pull
off "parts" of a page. A "page" is something which is recognized
by browser but not by HTTP protocol, in which you specifically
and separately request each image/other file.

> > We're talking about software that turns off loading of images that match a
> > specific pattern.  This isn't filtering as such.
>
> No we're not.  We're talking about filtering ads.

No we're not. We're talking about (strictly) filtering HTTP
connections that math a certain patterns usually based on their
target URL. Filtering as in, never initiating them. The software
gives you more freedom to choose what you want or do not want to
pull from network, using the HTTP protocol. And you complain
because you're given more freedom. Bah. I'm unimpressed.

> Eivind long
> ago agreed that a program which filters large, fat, unnecessary
> gifs has definate potential use.  I agreed with him implicitly.

'Unnecessary' is in the beholder's eye, and you undermine your
argument beautifully yourself. For me, _every_ ad is an unnecessary,
large fat gif (or jpeg or whatever). What you want, however, is that
I would be unable to define precisely just what is "large, fat,
unnecessary" for me and what isn't.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/